Rival Rooting

I've been supporting N.C. State all through the tournament. For that matter, I've been rooting for all of the ACC, even to the point of being apathetic towards Duke, which is as close to cheering as I can get. Like most ACC fans, I like seeing the league do well, if for no other reason than it enforces my feeling of fan superiority and allows me to ignore the rest of the country like the North Carolina-centered fan that I am. So I've been happy with the Wolfpack's success to date.

Here's the thing -- I really don't like the idea of meeting other ACC teams in the tournament. I don't why. It's only happen once to UNC -- the 1981 Final Four game against Virginia, where the Tar Heels, 0 and 2 against the Cavaliers for the season, won by thirteen. And I'm confident of Carolina's chances against State, or even looking further ahead, Duke. We've swept the former, and have the depth and intensity at this point to handle the latter.

Maybe it's just the fact that the teams know each other so well. Sure, Wisconsin is probably already knee deep in Tar Heel game film, but this State squad has lived with twice-a-year, coaching job on the line games against this squad for their entire careers. It's an extra variable thrown into the game, and I'd prefer it not be there.

So do I stop rooting for N.C. State? Duke? Or just ignore them until Villanova's safely put away?

(By the way, I only know of two other ACC meetings in the tournament -- Duke and Maryland in 2001, and N.C. State and Virginia in 1983. No ACC teams from North Carolina have ever met.)