Journalism

There's a post I've been writing on and off during the day, while I debate whether or not to post it. The thesis being Sean Sutton is not the best man for the Oklahoma State job.

Now it's a pretty dickish thing to anonymously write on the internet that someone shouldn't have their job. Lucky I can back that up with my resume:

  • College basketball experience (player): None
  • College basketball experience (coaching): None
  • College athletic department experience (hiring): None
  • Sports journalism experience: None

Yes, anonymously writing about Sean Sutton's fitness to coach is falls into an ethical gray area. So I turn to the national media, to see how to properly opine on the state of college coaching:

  • Jason Whitlock (10+ years as a columnist) points to the fact that Mike Davis didn't hire a recruit's AAU coach as evidence he didn't have the heart to coach at Indiana.
  • Gregg Doyel speculates about who will be hired at Iowa, Creighton, Arizona State, Pittsburgh, UNLV, Duquesne,Arkansas, UAB, and Rutgers. All positions that happen to be filled at the moment.
  • Gregg Doyel also writes that Tubby Smith hasn't "earned the right" to leave Kentucky at the end of the season. (Tubby Smith has said nothing about leaving Kentucky.) I swear, sports writers impose some strange job obligations on athletes and coaches you don't see anywhere else - I didn't consider whether I was going to "leave it is as I found it" when I left my last job. Did Doyel before he left the Charlotte Observer for CBS?

I don't feel nearly so bad about writing about Sean Sutton. I'm just a bit apologetic that it's not as Carolina-centric as the blog title would indicate. I'll get around to fawning over Hansbrough's Tech performance and the Heels of Fewer Turnovers eventually.